This edition will focus on Reductionism (and exciting news!). You say, “Whaaat!? What on earth is reductionism?” I’m so glad you asked! Reductionism, in the simplest of terms, is the misguided practice of focusing on leaves and forgetting all about the forest.
Remember when food was called potatoes and pasta? Now we say carbs. Remember when food was called steak or beans? Now we say proteins. Remember when we just wanted to sit down to dinner and nourish our bodies, enjoying our food? Now we worry about getting enough calcium, iron, and vitamin C.
Reductionism is when scientists do a study to see how taking calcium supplements affects one particular parameter, like fracture risk. The problem is that it is NOT seen to reduce fracture risk because everyone is missing the forest for the leaves. (I know it’s supposed to be trees but we are going even further than that!)
The totality of the diet is what has been taught by successful experts for many decades. By successful I mean people get well! People reverse heart disease and type 2 diabetes. People regain a healthy weight and stay that way. People lose the need for blood pressure meds and reflux meds and restore their health. I would say these folks are correct in what they teach by looking at their track record. It is imperative you understand taking a pill to ensure you get enough calcium will NOT ensure you get enough calcium. If your goal is to prevent (or improve) osteoporosis, protect your circulation (or restore it), prevent type 2 diabetes (or reverse it), radically reduce your risk for breast cancer (or a recurrence), achieve a healthy weight (and keep it), then adopting Dietary ExcellenceTM and an optimal lifestyle is the best choice you can make. As many of you who know me have heard me say “Look at their track record.” Yes, there are countless opinions in the world and they all contradict each other! Who do you believe? Well…
Who do you know who has restored their health and resolved the need for medications for chronic disease? I have seen this occur over and over in those who apply what is taught in my classes. I am not taking credit for this or my head wouldn’t fit through the door! The information that is presented in these classes is the same information taught by Dr. Pam Popper and Wellness Forum Health. It is based on SOUND science, not fads, opinions, or the reductionist thought of the day. Wellness Forum Health established Wellness Forum Institute for Health Studies to thoroughly educate (nearly 900 classroom hours) their students in the relationship between food and numerous issues (cancer, heart disease, digestive disorders, diabetes, etc) as well as how to restore health step by practical step. If you believe the lie that there is nothing you can do, you are right. If you believe, deep down, there must be a better way, keep reading.
I have been educated for the past several years by the most successful practitioners in the healthcare world. Their patients/clients get better! I have recently partnered with Wellness Forum Health in order to provide you access to the best there is in services, products, and education. What they provide is far beyond the scope of what I am able to offer you and I want you well!
Wellness Forum Health Membership Benefits:
- Wellness 101 – this program teaches the science of diet and health, and the skills needed to adopt a program of Dietary ExcellenceTM and optimal habits. A curriculum book and DVD set is included and live instruction, with food/recipes, is provided by me locally.
- Introduction to Informed Healthcare Decision Making – includes understanding the informed decision making process; how to find and interview health professionals including family practice doctors, pediatricians, mental health professionals, physical therapists, personal trainers; how to read basic blood tests, commonly administered tests, and other related topics.
- “How to Get Started” Sessions provide all you need to begin your journey toward better health. This is an introduction to Dietary ExcellenceTM and optimal habits. The What, Why, and How are taught in a 4 hour class that also provides delicious food, recipes, and more.
- Members-Only Website - in addition to recipes and other helpful information, you'll have access to a growing library of over 125 workshops on a variety of topics. New workshops are posted almost every week.
- Preferred Pricing on select educational programs and national conferences
- Free shipping on orders over $250 (continental US only)
- “Wellness Bucks” for referring people to Wellness Forum Health.
Discover how to eliminate pain, the need for medications and regain your health. Contact Eileen Kopsaftis or call 518-496-1265 for a comprehensive pain/health consultation.
You deserve a long, healthy, pain-free life!
HLW Recipe of the Month: Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
Yes! Creamy scalloped potatoes can be healthy for you! Life is good again!!!
The smooth, creamy goodness of these potatoes will sing in your mouth! Your tongue will be so happy! Great as an entrée or as a side dish. Your family or guests will never guess these are without dairy and almost no fat! Enjoy:-)
4 to 6 servings
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, cooked soft, mashed well, and mixed with plant milk that has been heated to scalding
- sea salt
- black or white pepper to taste
- 3 cups plant milk (almond, rice, soy)
Heat oven to 350’ F. Spray 2-quart casserole lightly with non-stick spray (needed to keep from sticking). Arrange potatoes in 4-6 layers, sprinkling each of the layers (not the top) with onion, flour, salt, pepper. Pour ½ cauliflower/milk mixture when layered ½ way up in bowl and remaining on top layer. Sprinkle top with onion, salt and pepper. Cover: bake 30 minutes. Uncover: bake 60-70 minutes longer or until potatoes are fork tender.
Note: you can put the cauliflower/milk mixture in a blender vs. mashing.
HLW Tip of the Month: You don’t need vitamin supplements.
Why don’t supplements work? Supplements are man-made, fractionated, isolated nutrients. In other words, they are DEAD. There is no life in a vitamin pill. If you look on the label it reads Supplement Facts. If you look on the label of any food item it reads Nutrition Facts. What does this mean? Supplements are not food. Your body only recognizes food as a source of nourishment.
Let’s look at some facts. Vitamins are complex organic substances needed in very small amounts. They are crucial for life, metabolic processes, growth, and health. Your body cannot produce enough of them for function, so they must be consumed in foods; “essential”. Each vitamin has a specific function. Some are in precursor form, converted into required form. They are insoluble (absorbed with fats) or soluble (in water molecules of foods).
How are supplements made? Vitamin Complexes are first separated from food. Vitamins are then isolated from complexes. Some isolated nutrients require esterification (combining with alcohol) in order to increase shelf life. This highly purified nutrient is then encapsulated or pressed into tablets. These products are often labeled “natural” because they were extracted from food sources. Chemically “pure” (free from associated components) and in high concentration (“high-potency”). Hardly resembles the natural state of the original vitamin complex, does it?
A whole food choice. Studies do not support taking supplements. They do not bring health or prevent disease. Food does! JuicePlus+ is food. I, and my family, enjoy its benefits every day and wouldn’t go a day without it. It has a Nutrition Facts label, 30 different fruits, vegetables, and grains concentrated in capsule form. It has live enzymes! It’s food. When it comes to produce more is better!
Eat whole food to Have LifeLong WellBeing!